[OM] underwater photography

Subject: [OM] underwater photography
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:57:45 -0500
I have to ask, is anyone on the list into scuba diving and underwater
photography? One thing that impressed me with Olympus were
the relatively low cost underwater housings for their cameras.

Next time I head to the Carribean, possibly next year, I would love
to upgrade my camera. Here are some C5060 underwater shots.
Not all that spectacular, but the best I could do under the circumstance.
I have not done any post processing on these images, other than resize.

Shot while snorkeling:
http://www.zuik.net/Belize/Belize1_P1270970_p.jpg
Squid school
http://www.zuik.net/Belize/Belize_P1270972.jpg

Diving:
http://www.zuik.net/Belize/belize_P1280977.jpg
http://www.zuik.net/Belize/Belize_P1291002.jpg
http://www.zuik.net/Belize/Belize_P1291014.jpg

This last shot was pure luck. I need a much more responsive
camera for underwater shots. Half the time the C5060
was just way too slow to capture interesting stuff.

I also need live view with decent size image display and fast auto-focus.
Some of these dives were reaching the max the Oly underwater housing
could withstand, 130 feet, but Olympus makes some really nice cost effective
underwater housings for their cameras, that meet or exceed their ratings.

My guess is there will never be an underwater TOPE. :-) But I have
to say, Olympus shines bright in the underwater category.

BTW, the camera is a great diversion to keep the mind focused on
something other than panic while underwater. Especially for
someone like me, who is no longer in their prime physically.

WayneS