[OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:19:02 -0500
At 04:40 PM 11/11/2008, Moose wrote:
>WayneS wrote:
>> The stuck pixels are not necessarily dependent on exposure time.
>> So they can be there in just about any shot.
>I have one of those on the A650, always bright white. One of the
>advantages of RAW processing with dcraw is that one may have a hot
>pixel(s) list that it corrects for.
>
>I suppose it must use a local average, as it doesn't create a black spot
>when that area is bright.

My guess is it uses interpolation to fill in the missing pixel. Which is "sort
of"
a local average of adjacent pixels. Interpolaton can use more than adjacent
pixels, but your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks for the advice on Hand strap. I tend to use my Domke strap wrapped in
such a way that it is equivalent to a hand strap. What I notice though, is that
the shape of the grip is not optimal for my trigger finger when the other
fingers
are gripping the camera. I no longer have the E-1, but I bet if you notice
the location of the trigger finger relative to how the middle and ring finger
grip
the camera, it will be better aligned to the shutter release than on the Can*n
camera. Can anyone confirm my suspicion? Hence, no matter what
the strap, the grip is just not as good as the E-1 grip, causing a stress
between the release finger and the grip fingers. The release finger is pulled
back relative to the grip fingers, creating a tension, no matter what the
strap used. I suspect that the E-1 has the trigger finger better extended
and does not create the opposing tension between the fingers that the
Can*n does.

It may seem a trivial point but next to the viewfinder, I rate the grip very
important and is a major disappointment I have with Can*n. It is
something Olympus got right. Was that a lucky accident, or did some
Oly engineer actually figure that out? Ever since Ken pointed this out
I have been trying to find a solution, but I think it is fundamentally due
to the location of the trigger release relative to the grip fingers.

The only relief I can do is to cradle the camera in my left hand, so the
right hand grip fingers can relax. So, your advice is good, but I still think
the 5D grip is fundamentally flawed, especially compared to the E-1,
no matter what the strap used is.

WayneS