Re: [OM] underwater photography

Subject: Re: [OM] underwater photography
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 05:41:28 -0800
Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Darin wrote:
>> I could also see how snorkeling could
>> make
>> underwater photography easier than diving, since there would be
>> more natural
>> light available closer to the surface than a couple hundred feet down.
>
> Depending. Snorkeling does not allow (me, at least) much time for UW
> photography. Especially when photographing living creatures, the
> "sneaking up on" aspect and the "waiting until they turn just the
> right way" is taking more time than I can reasonably hold my breadth
> for ;) But light-wise, the deeper one gets the more light does one
> have to bring along oneself.

Yeah, I was refering to having to haul your own light along. However, you
make a very good point, I hadn't thought about having the time to wait for
that perfect shot to appear.

> My best dive was at Okinawa now many years back. I was diving with a
> local marine biologist who was off duty near a beach some early
> morning before she had to be to work. Max depth was 5m/16ft, and we
> were usually above that for the bulk of time -- but we had gas for an
> eternity, plenty of morning light, a rocky-canyony-environment with
> an extremely dense and curious local population of puffer-fish, moray
> eel and such.
>
> Man, that was a great dive: warm water, plenty of light, no deco-
> obligation, no complicated equipment to drag along, plenty of stuff
> to see and plenty of time to explore. Plus, I was in great company
> with someone who could upon surfacing and having coffee on the beach,
> tell me all about the habits and habitats of the various underwater
> friends we'd encountered.

This sounds like exactly the kind of diving I'd be interested in doing. I
don't feel the need to go very deep, though I'm sure I would with time, I
just want to be able to take my time and explore, while enjoying the sights
and interacting with whatever creatures of the sea that might happen along.

Darin