Re: [OM] underwater photography

Subject: Re: [OM] underwater photography
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:16:00 -0500
At 06:25 AM 11/13/2008, Thomas wrote:
><snip>
>>> I actually had some problems after 4 dives and had to stop. 130-150
>>> foot dives are easy to come by, but my body had a hard time adapting
>>> and I had to stop after the 4th dive in 3 days.
>>>
>> If you don't mind my asking, were the problems related to the
>> pressure, or
>> was it something  else?
>
>I would not pretend to know what Wayne's issues were, and I'm not an
>M.D. nor do I play one on TV - or even on this list (I leave that to
>Charles ;) ).
>
>But four 130-150ft dives in 3 days would -- for me -- imply that they
>would all be run as true decompression dives, preferably using oxygen-
>rich mixes for the (albeit short) decompression stops. I know that it
>is claimed possible to  do such as a sequence of "no decompression
>dives", and that it's done all over the world all the time.

We had the standard decompression stop at 10-15 feet and I used
a dive computer. Part of my issue was with my jaw clamping on
the regulator too hard, and I developed a bad headache, but I
also felt perhaps it was a bit much. Not every dive was that deep.
But I do believe the effects are cumulative. I just reached the point
were I felt it better to back off.

>However if I do not do appropriate stops I just end up feeling like a
>wet newspaper -- in perfect "health" as such, just extremely fatigued
>and worn out.
>
>Adding a couple of decompression stops along the ascent, and
>ascending very slowly (especially the last couple of meter, where it
>be extremely slowly), and I'm ready to run a marathon upon surfacing
>-- in full form. If I can, I pony a Nitrox bottle for the deco, but
>that's just an extra margin.

The last 30 feet is 100% change in pressure, so I question
on deeper dives whether there should be more than just
the 10-15 foot stop.

>I'd almost bet that if the problem is "feeling wasted upon
>surfacing", and this feeling is cumulative, then it is -- absent a
>medical condition, of course -- a matter of ascending too fast.

Could very well have been. I was relying on the dive computer
both on rate of ascent and decompression stop.

WayneS