Re: [OM] underwater photography

Subject: Re: [OM] underwater photography
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:06:33 -0500
At 05:27 AM 11/13/2008, you wrote:
>> I actually had some problems after 4 dives and had to stop. 130-150
>> foot dives are easy to come by, but my body had a hard time adapting
>> and I had to stop after the 4th dive in 3 days.
>>
>If you don't mind my asking, were the problems related to the pressure, or
>was it something  else?

I believe that diving down to 120+ feet for a couple of dives affected
me in some way. I just didn't feel that well. Partly I did not have my own
regulator, and the hose was very short, such that there was a constant
pressure I had to exert, so my Jaw really started to tighten up, which
then affected my ability to equalize pressure, so I decided that I should
back off the diving. I had nothing to prove.

The dive master I was with was actually pretty good. I took my first
scuba lessons back in college, with the old dual hose with regulator
on the tank. My instructor always seem to make sure the hoses were
leaky. He was an ex-seal and the training was intense. I did not quite
make it all the way, in part because I developed a cold, it was winter
and the chlorine was a problem.

I re-certified a number of years ago, with a very through trainer, doing my
certification dive in 52 F degree fresh water. Out of 11 people, only 3
certified. With my New England blood, I would dive in the 77 degree water
without a wet suit, as I find it makes buoyancy easier.

There is nothing like knowing what you are doing when diving, and
knowing what your limits are and how to handle situations. Underwater
is another world.

Wayne