Re: [OM] WTB: Zuiko OM glass (21/2, 18/3.5, 90/2)

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB: Zuiko OM glass (21/2, 18/3.5, 90/2)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:58:18 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> A nice Oly senior sales/tech. exec. told me something interesting about the
> 18mm which might improve its cult status.
> Apparently they deliberately made it slightly soft in the centre to make the
> edges seem sharper.
> The idea was to create an illusion of edge-to-edge sharpness in a lens that
> had no right to be that.
> I can no longer check that but it might be worth investigating.

Some truth to it. And it's not new information. The 18/3.5 is indeed
sharper further out than in the middle.

Gary had already noted in his test "lens design emphasizes outer zones
at expense of center image zone (which gives a sharper overall
impression of an image)"

In Mike Hatam's comparison test, the 18/3.5 was not far off the famous
Zeiss 18/4 in the center, pretty much a tie in the mid zone and whupped
the Zeiss in the corner. It handily beat the Canon 16-35/2.8L
everywhere. <http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/18mm_testb.html>

A new Leica 19mm and the new 16-35 II beat the Oly, but are, of course,
decades later designs. I don't know what Zuiko example was in that more
recent test, but it's middle range doesn't seem right, or up to the one
Mike tested.

Looking at it vs. a more contemporary design in the Zeiss, I'd say only
a tiny bit softer in the center in order to get outstanding outer zones.

Moose