Re: [OM] IMG: Finally, Some Rain Drops

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Finally, Some Rain Drops
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:57:44 -0600
 >I just meant that F2 on 4/3's is similar to F4 on 35mm. That DOF scales
>with the sensor size. Nothing to do with using 35mm for the shot. I'm
>a total digital convenience person myself. I even tossed a half exposed
>roll of Provia, as I knew I would never get around to finishing it or
processing
>it. That was at least 3 years ago. My OM 50/1.4 is used more often used as
>a loupe for removing splinters than mounted on the camera taking photos.

DoF is only part of the story, though.  Lens designs have as great a bearing
on background rendition than format and focal-length.  For those who have
the E-system, compare images taken with the 14-54 or 12-60 at 50mm and
images taken with the 50-200 at 50mm.  Same focal-length, same format.

Several years ago, I got rid of the 50/1.4 when I discovered just how
non-flatfielded it was.  Prior to that point, it was my favorite loupe for
inspecting slides.  I think it was Tom Scales who was cleaning out last bits
of OM flotsom, and he sent me an old 50/1.8.  I was actually pleasantly
suprised at how decent of a lens it is.  A couple months ago I gave it,
along with Wayne's OM-E adaptor to another photographer who is using it for
portraiture on an E-3.  Talk about a totally different, yet classic look.
The backgrounds are rendered so differently from the E-system lenses, that
you can identify which pictures are which at a glance.
AG