Re: [OM] underwater photography

Subject: Re: [OM] underwater photography
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:52:48 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:

> I grew up around the Great Lakes.  Diving takes on a bit different format
> there because of temperature stratification, fresh-water, and limited
> visibility. It gets dark in a real hurry.  It gets very cold, very quickly
> too.  It can be 70 degrees (F) at the surface, but 55 degrees before you
> get
> to the 5m depth.  Of course, Lake Superior is dry-suit diving no matter
> what. THAT is cold water.  But there are some great wrecks to dive on and
> you don't have to travel very far to get to them.  On Isle Royale, there
> are
> two major wrecks less than 50m from shore.

I have a feeling i'd be dealing with similar temps here, at least in the
Pacific. The current surface temp just of the coast is 14º C (57º F)
according to NOAA.

> Oh, one popular diving occupation around the Great Lakes is diving in the
> rivers and harbor/lakes looking for lumber.  Back in the lumbering days,
> they used to float the logs downstream to the mills.  Tens of thousands of
> logs would disappear below the surface, typically being forced down into
> the
> mucky bottoms where they'd get stuck.  150 years later, these logs have
> high
> value and are sought after.

We have similarly enterprising individuals here on the Columbia River.
Although, if I remember correctly, here they're using sonar to locate the
long lost logs. I saw a program on Oregon Public Broadcasting, where the
showed them pulling up some logs, and also showed some furniture and the
like made from the wood. It was gorgous stuff!

Darin