Re: [OM] IMG: Finally, Some Rain Drops

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Finally, Some Rain Drops
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:21:01 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I didn't get a clean selection with the wand either since I was only willing
> to work on it for about 30 seconds.  It wasn't good enough to be considered a
> finished image but it was good enough to make the foreground foliage pop out
> of the background.
>
> I'm glad we're on this subject because it reminded me that, for quite some
> time now, I've been meaning to buy Katrin Eismann's masking book
> http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Masking-Compositing-VOICES-Eismann/dp/0735712794/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1T320R8HXF6L3&colid=12PAYDK1BNR07
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Masking-Compositing-VOICES-Eismann/dp/0735712794/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1T320R8HXF6L3&colid=12PAYDK1BNR07>
> in hopes that I might one day come close to the Moose's masking skills.

I appreciate the compliment.

I guess it spurred this.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Raindrops.htm>

Do you remember Lawrence of Arabia? Near the beginning, while talking
with another young officer, Lawrence lets a match burn down until it
snuffs out between finger and thumb. Approx. dialog:

OO: What's the trick?
L: What do you mean?
OO: So it doesn't hurt.
L: Of course, it hurts. (With smile)
L: The trick, you see, is not to care that it hurts.

Eismann undoubtedly knows some tricks I don't. But I'm betting not
enough to clearly separate the elements in an image like this one. The
trick to my "skill" is at least partially not to care that it takes time
and patience painting the mask(s) at 200-400%.

Sure, I use Magic Wand, Quick Selection, the Lasso Tools, Select by
Color, etc. But in the end, a good job often requires hand touch-up work.

Sharpening the foreground will often help the sense of separation from
background.

Moose