Re: [OM] underwater photography

Subject: Re: [OM] underwater photography
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:35:44 -0500
At 03:26 PM 11/14/2008, Darin wrote:

>NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Underwater photos, in general, are going to be more satisfactory when you
>> provide your own light (flash).  Otherwise there will look very much like
>> shooting through a blue filter.  The deeper you go, the bluer you  get.
>>
>That's what I figured. There's always something else to have to spend more
>money on. :^)

I agree, that flash really helps underwater, but you have to be
careful as any disturbance creates particulates in the water, which
will cause a problem by reflecting the flash light. Hence close up
is best. Bubbles, particles, are the main problem with underwater
flash. But if you have to rely on ambient light, fast ISO and
fast lenses, or a steady hand with a non-skittish subject. Tell
that to the fish, hold on while my camera auto-focuses...

I have not had the time to invest too much in underwater
activities to justify a decent flash. Spending a few hundred on
a housing for a camera that has other uses is probably about
right. Hence I was originally asking, or hoping, the micro
4/3rd's system might be a good system with the potential
of an under water housing. After all, Olympus has been good
in providing cost effective underwater housings compared
to many other companies.

I too have many a photo of a great fish where only the tail is
visible.

Night dives, well, you pretty much have to take your light
source. The only exception is a trip to Vieques, Puerto Rico
in the Bioluminescent Bay. http://www.biobay.com/
Now that might be some interesting photography. I was there
swimming under water, with mask, at night was very cool.
(cool as in Koouhull, neat, mind-bending...)
In the bay, any motion will cause the micro organisms to glow.
Watching fish swim creates streaks of light. Still you need
a camera with great sensitivity to capture anything.

Wayne