Re: [OM] Bags, a user report - OFF LIST from Chuck

Subject: Re: [OM] Bags, a user report - OFF LIST from Chuck
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:42:15 -0500
Ooops!  It's been a long time but it's time for another brief English
lesson.  "steel" is a metal made from iron.  "steal" is the verb you
were looking for but the correct form here would have been "And ready to
be stolen". (Yeah, I know, doesn't make any sense).

"robbed" could have been used but "robbed" is something done to you as a
person.  It would more typically be used in a sentence such as: "I was
robbed".  The bag could have been robbed from you but the bag itself
(being an inanimate object) couldn't be robbed except in the sense that
"from you" is implied if not explicitly stated.  I suppose I could make
a case for robbed being correct but it's a rather awkward construction.
  Stay with "stolen".  :-)

Chuck