Re: [OM] Coffee or Tea - Bad Vibrations

Subject: Re: [OM] Coffee or Tea - Bad Vibrations
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:21:09 -0500
That's what my doctor tried to tell me when he tried to convince me to
reduce my 5 (10 oz) mugs of coffee/day.  I responded that what I drank
was a mix of 2/3 decaffeinated with 1/3 regular and I wasn't getting
that much caffeine.  He said the decaffeination process only removed
about 2% of the caffeine.  He didn't know the following facts either and
had the proportions roughly backwards.  From the following Wiki article:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeinated_coffee>

"The [decaffeination] process is repeated anywhere from 8 to 12 times
until it meets either the international standard of having removed 97%
of the caffeine in the beans or the EU standard of having the beans
99.9% caffeine free by mass."

A University of Florida study (ref 9 on the Wiki page) showed that decaf
coffee purchased at US cafes actually contained 5-10% of normal caffeine
levels.  I don't know that that has any bearing on the canned stuff I
buy in the supermarket but even so it's still a 90-95% reduction.

Chuck Norcutt