Re: [OM] Recommendations for compact digital camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Recommendations for compact digital camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:01:02 -0800
Mike Bloor wrote:
> Does anyone have recommendations for a compact digital "point and shoot" ?
>
> I am trying to replace my wife's Canon Powershot.  What she would like is -
>
> - A smaller, lighter camera.

You've left out crucial information. What camera has she been using?
Smaller and lighter is relative to that.

> - Preferably one that runs on AA batteries or similar.

That goes against small and light, you know. Both the energy and the
form factor mean that custom LiIon batteries make smaller and lighter
cameras, all other things being equal.

> If it has a custom, rechargeable battery, we would have to be able to buy a
> spare.

That's generally pretty easy, if not always cheap.

> - One without appreciable shutter lag.  This is the main fault of her current
> camera.

Again, what current camera? Shutter lag has been getting better over
time, so age/model tells one something about what she's complaining about.

As Andrew pointed out, most of the shutter lag in recent cameras is AF.
My first digicam was a Powershot S110. It has lots of shutter lag, but
most is in the AF. Put fixed focus, infinity mode, and the shutter is
very responsive. Half push the shutter to lock focus, and the final shot
has little apparent shutter lag.

> - A zoom lens going to the equivalent of 28mm (on 35mm film) at the wide end.
> - A decent viewfinder - or do these cameras not have viewfinders anymore and
> just rely on the screen on the back.

Cameras with viewfinders are still available. Cameras of this sort with
DECENT viewfinders don't exist as far as I know. They all seem to be
tiny tunnels that cover only a modest part of the actual frame that will
be captured. Fortunately, my A540 IS twist and tilt screen means I can
move it out of glare, so I don't have to use the optical viewfinder.

> - Video recording with sound - or do they all have this.

All will have some sort of that. Mostly, it isn't impressive, with
limited controls and often without the ability to use zoom while
filming. Still, it's video, not still and of use on occasion.

> - Some manual control.  The Powershot is quite good for this.

This really limits the options, which may be good for your sanity.  ;-)

> Any suggestions would be gratefully received,

It's becoming clear that the G10 is the class of the digicam group for
IQ, features and build quality, but it violates your small/light and
battery criteria. The Powershot SD990 IS appears to use the same sensor
system as the G10, but with a different, longer lens and without many of
its other features, including RAW and hot shoe. It's odd in that it
offers only complete auto or complete manual control, no aperture or
shutter preferred modes. In its favor are size, weight and cost. Steve's
Digicams review says "Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the
shutter button and capturing an image, was almost instantaneous (less
than 1/10 of a second) when pre-focused, and only 2/10 of a second
including autofocus."
<http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_sd990.html>

Here are several cameras that I believe will perform above average in
IQ, focus, quickness, overall usability. None entirely meet your
criteria, but the comparison table should give you a better idea of
what's out there. The SD990 column indicates no manual focus, but that's
incorrect, it does have manual focus with magnified LCD image for
accuracy. So it does have complete manual control over focus, exposure
and WB.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g10%2Ccanon_sd880is%2Ccanon_sd890is%2Ccanon_sd990is%2Cpanasonic_dmclx3%2Cpanasonic_dmctz5%2Csony_dscw170%2Csony_dscw300&show=all

If AA batteries become the big issue, look at the Powershot A series and
find the best match to your other feature needs.

Me? I'm in love with twist and tilt. Unless Canon comes out with an A650
successor with G10 sensor system and twist and tilt screen, I'm going to
be looking for a good deal on a used or refurb backup A650.