Re: [OM] Recommendations for compact digital camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Recommendations for compact digital camera
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:17:09 +0800
Hi Mike

What you're really asking for has not been built as far as I know. The
combination of features you're looking for is quite impossible to come
across in a single package.

Let me rationalise at least some of them for you:

2008/11/18 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> Mike Bloor wrote:
> > Does anyone have recommendations for a compact digital "point and shoot"
> ?
> >
> > I am trying to replace my wife's Canon Powershot.  What she would like is
> -
> >
> > - A smaller, lighter camera.

Most Powershot models I know are more or less about the same in terms of
size and weight, give or take a bit here and there. OK, there's no problem
finding a smaller and lighter camera here. But if you're also looking for
ruggedness and other criteria like maybe weather-resistance etc etc etc,
then the issue with weight is going to weigh us all down also.
At this point, I'll use my own little benchmark.....a few days ago, I
purchased from Olympus direct, a new mju 1050SW for my fiancée. This camera
is small and relatively thin and for all of us used to weightier cameras,
this one is light but it's all metal, fully waterproof (as in underwater
proof) and shockproof. For all that, it is comparatively heavier than many
compact cameras but nothing my fiancée couldn't handle.

> You've left out crucial information. What camera has she been using?
> Smaller and lighter is relative to that.
>
> > - Preferably one that runs on AA batteries or similar.

Not a hope in a sky for AA batteries, Mike. If you want thin, small and
light, that's not going to happen. The AA batteries themselves are bulky and
to design a camera around them would make it quite thick and ungainly also.
The lower-end Olympus FE-series cameras do feature the use of AA batteries
but I wouldn't suggest you buy them. Coming from a Powershot culture, the FE
might not please you or your wife.
The direction of the industry in terms of using AA batteries is that they
are meant for cheap compacts. Lithium is the way of everyone's heading these
days.

> That goes against small and light, you know. Both the energy and the
> form factor mean that custom LiIon batteries make smaller and lighter
> cameras, all other things being equal.
>
> > If it has a custom, rechargeable battery, we would have to be able to buy
> a spare.
> >

> That's generally pretty easy, if not always cheap.
>
> > - One without appreciable shutter lag.  This is the main fault of her
> current camera.

This should not be a problem. There are also third-party replacements and
Delkin does offer a good range if you don't wish to buy originals.
As for shutter lag, I agree with Moose. And if you use Andrew's suggestion
or prelocking your focus, the camera - ANY camera - would respond with
greater immediacy.

> Again, what current camera? Shutter lag has been getting better over
> time, so age/model tells one something about what she's complaining about.
>
> As Andrew pointed out, most of the shutter lag in recent cameras is AF.
> My first digicam was a Powershot S110. It has lots of shutter lag, but
> most is in the AF. Put fixed focus, infinity mode, and the shutter is
> very responsive. Half push the shutter to lock focus, and the final shot
> has little apparent shutter lag.
>
> > - A zoom lens going to the equivalent of 28mm (on 35mm film) at the wide
> end.
> > - A decent viewfinder - or do these cameras not have viewfinders anymore
> and just rely on the screen on the back.

The mju 1050SW has a zoom that starts from 28mm. As for optical viewfinder,
it's no longer a widely found feature for cameras where manufacturers are
focusing on thinness, compactness and of course, cost. Fact is most of these
cameras, regardless of make and model, are made in China for a reason - to
par down costs. Taking out the optical viewfinder is part of that same
reason as well as to keep the camera's overall size as small as possible.
Another reason where the optical viewfinder is victimised is that the LCD
panel just keeps getting larger and larger as dictated by consumer demands.
The 1050SW does not have one either and in many ways, I wish it did but even
if it did have one, I can imagine how small and useless it could be.

> Cameras with viewfinders are still available. Cameras of this sort with
> DECENT viewfinders don't exist as far as I know. They all seem to be
> tiny tunnels that cover only a modest part of the actual frame that will
> be captured. Fortunately, my A540 IS twist and tilt screen means I can
> move it out of glare, so I don't have to use the optical viewfinder.
>
> > - Video recording with sound - or do they all have this.

The mju 1050SW has video recording with audio and you can even use it
underwater. Exactly how useful you find the video offering on a still camera
will depend on the individual. My fiancée loves it but largely because it's
fun to use and not much else. Still if you don't find a camera fun to use -
especially a digital compact - then really, it's not fun buying it in the
first place, I suppose.

> All will have some sort of that. Mostly, it isn't impressive, with
> limited controls and often without the ability to use zoom while
> filming. Still, it's video, not still and of use on occasion.
>
> > - Some manual control.  The Powershot is quite good for this.

Many compact cameras that are thin, small and light aren't likely to match
any DSLR in terms of manual control. The mju 1050SW offers manual controls
for setting WB, ISO, image resolution as well as exposure compensation for
over and under. You can also set it to perform spot-AF but all within either
Program, Program-Scene or full no-brainer Auto.

On the overall, what impressed me with the mju 1050SW is that it is one
tough little blighter. She's already dunked it in a tub of water and shot
with it. She's used it in the rain. She's taken it to the beach, got sand on
it, we have thrown it around (literally) and it's gone swimming as well.
Nothing cracked. Nothing jammed. And it's opened up a broad range of
possibilities and opportunities for her as she's never been before. In that
sense, the 1050SW has been a great little thing for her.

For its size and intended market segment, I really can't ask for much more
than what it already offers except for the following:

1. It would be nice if we could customise the WB setting
2. Having real Program-Shift and selecting a more preferred shutter
speed-aperture combination would be very educational for my fiancée who is
now showing signs of thirst for more!
3. Ability to accept CF cards would be a boon but thankfully it can take
micro-SDs, which are cheaper than xD-Picture Cards - recently we paid MYR45
for a 4GB micro-SD card - that's about USD12

Hope that helps, Mike.

K.

> This really limits the options, which may be good for your sanity.  ;-)
>
> > Any suggestions would be gratefully received,
> >

> It's becoming clear that the G10 is the class of the digicam group for
> IQ, features and build quality, but it violates your small/light and
> battery criteria. The Powershot SD990 IS appears to use the same sensor
> system as the G10, but with a different, longer lens and without many of
> its other features, including RAW and hot shoe. It's odd in that it
> offers only complete auto or complete manual control, no aperture or
> shutter preferred modes. In its favor are size, weight and cost. Steve's
> Digicams review says "Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the
> shutter button and capturing an image, was almost instantaneous (less
> than 1/10 of a second) when pre-focused, and only 2/10 of a second
> including autofocus."
> <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_sd990.html>
>
> Here are several cameras that I believe will perform above average in
> IQ, focus, quickness, overall usability. None entirely meet your
> criteria, but the comparison table should give you a better idea of
> what's out there. The SD990 column indicates no manual focus, but that's
> incorrect, it does have manual focus with magnified LCD image for
> accuracy. So it does have complete manual control over focus, exposure
> and WB.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g10%2Ccanon_sd880is%2Ccanon_sd890is%2Ccanon_sd990is%2Cpanasonic_dmclx3%2Cpanasonic_dmctz5%2Csony_dscw170%2Csony_dscw300&show=all
>
> If AA batteries become the big issue, look at the Powershot A series and
> find the best match to your other feature needs.
>
> Me? I'm in love with twist and tilt. Unless Canon comes out with an A650
> successor with G10 sensor system and twist and tilt screen, I'm going to
> be looking for a good deal on a used or refurb backup A650.
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney