Re: [OM] Hypocrites are us - OFFTOPIC

Subject: Re: [OM] Hypocrites are us - OFFTOPIC
From: Barry Bean <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:29:53 -0600
Jan Steinman wrote:
> I hope you know where that steak came from.

His steak came from a cow.

>  If you don't know your
> meat producer, you should be a vegetarian.

What if you don't know your vegetable producer? What of you don't know
the local utility workers who bring in your water? What about the people
who grow, mine, dry, prepare, or package you spices? What about the
person who brewed your beer, distilled your whiskey, or produced your
wine? Do you need to personally know the people who make your medicines?
Does this mean you shouldn't eat anything imported, or foods out of your
local season?

I think the notion of buying from people you know is a good one. I
always buy local when its a viable option. But it isn't always  possible
or desirable. It certainly isn't much of an option for a great many
urban dwellers - how many local truck farms are there in Manhattan,
Chicago, LA, or other major population centers?

Production ag has a place, and we'd all be much poorer without it. You
can support local ag without having to swear off all other food.
Moderation in all things.

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company