Re: [OM] Coffee or Tea - Bad Vibrations

Subject: Re: [OM] Coffee or Tea - Bad Vibrations
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:56:40 -0300
Never thought there would be an English word for the mate fruit, used as
a cup to contain the cut little pieces of yerba mate leaves, I'm
learning of our local habits, too :-).

Yes, my Oxford dictionary says gourd is a noun for a type of large
fruit, not normally eaten, with hard skin and soft flesh. Gourds are
often dried and used as containers. Syn.: calabash.

Colloquially,  mate is an ubiquitous name for the container, the drink
itself, the fruit when fresh, and can be transformed into a verb ->
tomar mate = matear, and into a joke too: "tomá mate !" = "surprised,
aren't you !?".

Why buy an useless old gourd ? - better a new one, even if not worked in
silver, unless you want to display it behind glass ... mates are to be
taken to the seashore, with a Stanley bottle of almost boiling water to
drink slowly while taking some OM photograph ... ;^)

Fernando.

--
Dr. Fernando González Gentile M.D.
Av.L.P.Ponce 1526B - 11600 Montevideo, Uruguay.