Re: [OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow

Subject: Re: [OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:54:34 -0500
I was using a Canyon 5D.  You apparently missed AG's reply where he was
gloating over his E1's apparent immunity to dust.  I would guess that I
have to clean the 5D about every 6-9 months.  In this case I cleaned the
camera just before we left upstate New York on our trip and the first
indication of dust is on on the coast of Northern California at Point
Lobos.  That's actually several hundred frames earlier than I thought it
was just a while ago as the spot is just a wispy gray and is difficult
to see unless it's on a patch of clear blue sky.  That also means there
really aren't too many frames where I'll actually have to despot the dust.

The Olympus sensor is not in a sealed dust proof environment.  It
vibrates at ultrasonic frequencies on power up to shake the dust off the
sensor.  Then the dust is captured by a sticky strip of something as it
falls off the sensor.  Canon and others have since imitated the process
with more or less success.  Canon has also added software dust mapping
and spot healing which is what was referred to in my reply to AG and the
link to the Canon page on dealing with dust.  I don't have any idea how
well that stuff works but I have not found dust cleaning to be an
onerous task... at least not until now.  I wouldn't normally have shot a
couple thousand images without checking the sensor but it was something
that was all too easy to forget when traveling.

Chuck Norcutt