Re: [OM] Electrical Part Help

Subject: Re: [OM] Electrical Part Help
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 09:26:35 -0800
> From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Regular dimmers must not be used with transformers.

I think "Regular dimmers may not work with transformers" is more
accurate.

To my knowledge, a dimmer can't damage a transformer, but the reactive
load may keep the diac from firing at the proper phase angle, since
reactive loads delay the back-EMF phase (current lags voltage). The
worst that will happen is sudden jumps in brightness and excessive
buzzing or humming.

But I do agree that a dimmer designed for halogen lights will work
better, since it is designed to drive the reactive load of a
transformer.

And it appears the whole idea is moot, since the OP wanted to restore
the scope, not simply make it work. Clean up the rheostat, put some
more spring in the wiper, and you'll be laughing.

:::: I think our [energy] policy is called "aircraft carriers." --
Irwin Steltzer, 1987 ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::