Re: [OM] Seat warmer

Subject: Re: [OM] Seat warmer
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:39:43 -0500
Are you sure this shot was taken with the flash pointing straight up to
the ceiling?  The shadow on the wall of the cat's ear and head would
seem to indicate otherwise.  From the position of the shadow it looks to
me like a BG2 shot with BG2 holding the flash head above and to the left
of the camera but with flash head pointing straight ahead and casting
said shadow on the wall.  It also appears to me that you probably
weren't terribly far from the cat given the angle between cat's ear and
shadow of cat's ear... assuming that the angle derives from the position
of the flash head on a BG2 relative to the position of the lens.

If not as I describe I'm at a loss to explain how there could be another
light source sufficiently bright to overwhelm the brightness of the
flash and cast its own shadow.  But I'm also rather intrigued by the
double highlights in the eyes which, on the surface, implies two light
sources.  My alternative explanation for that (a guess really) is that
one of the highlights is a reflection off the surface of the eye with
the beam then passing through, reflecting off the cat's retina and then
back out through the eye to cause the second highlight.

Sorry, I don't have any computations to help you out here but I'd start
with a light source that's about 45 degrees away (both horizontally and
vertically) from the axis of the lens (as measured from the subject's
position)

Dr. Flash