Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 48: winter and work

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 48: winter and work
From: "Charles Geilfuss" <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 10:04:07 -0500
  I'm with you Chris; I think that number may be a bit high. I would have
thought about 25mg. Be that as it may, for most people dietary cholesterol
is less important than saturated fat intake. Your liver synthesizes about
3000mg cholesterol per day (about 10x recommended dietary intake of
cholesterol). For most people the liver production of cholesterol is
down-regulated by dietary intake of cholesterol but some individuals lack
this negative feedback control.
 Fish is certainly lower in cholesterol than mammalian red meat and very low
in saturated fat. Cold water varieties (fish and mammals...but please don't
eat the seals and whales) are also high in Omega-3 fats which are good for
you. So Nathan, enjoy that tuna steak!

Charlie