[OM] [OT] Calling on the list's electrical engineers

Subject: [OM] [OT] Calling on the list's electrical engineers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 07:41:39 -0500
A friend just purchased an old Ricoh FF-90 film P&S camera.  He wants to
use NiMH batteries but the user's manual (which can be found here)
<http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ricoh/ricoh_ff-90/ricoh_ff-90.htm> states:
* Do not use Nickel Cadmium batteries. "Use of rechargeable Ni-cad
batteries is not recommended. Due to higher internal amperage, the
electronics in your Ricoh camera/flash unit may be damaged. If damage
due to use of Ni-cad batteries occurs, the warranty will be considered
null and void"

Can someone explain why this is?  I can understand problems with NiCad
or NiMH possibly not delivering enough voltage for proper operation but
I don't understand just the *capability* of the batteries to deliver a
higher current as injurious.  In fact, my limited knowledge of
electronics (Ohm's law: I=V/R) would say that the fixed resistance of
the camera's circuits would cause a lower current draw with lower
voltage batteries.  Without understanding why I suspect that the flash
is the problem since the flash, during recharge, is that only thing that
normally draws a high current.  If that's the case could NiMH be used if
the flash is turned off?

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt