[OM] Using flashes with the E series cameras

Subject: [OM] Using flashes with the E series cameras
From: Steve & Alicia Goss <stevegoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:51:18 -0600
Hi, Y'all-
The E-510 has a built in flash, but it's tiny, and I'm getting less than
stellar results on indoor shots.

Wen using the attached flash I'm getting red eye on a lot of images now.
I didn't get red eye very often with my OM's, because I used a T32 on a
bounce grip. Plus, the OM's would control the flash...

At an outing to a rock climbing gym I tried using a Sunpak 433 with a
zoom adaptor on an E-510 with the 40-150 lens, but the results generally
went from bad to awful. I didn't get red eye, but it was obvious that
the camera had no idea that a flash was involved. On some shots people
have transparent arms because they were moving and the shutter was open
way too long, and other shots are totally over exposed. One of the
problems is that the distances to the subjects kept varying; the flash
was set up in auto mode but was not cutting back enough on its own.

Do I have to go to manual flash calculations (after years of letting OTF
do it for me), do I need to just crank up the ISO to the maximum and
forget the flash, do I have to get a flash dedicated to the E series, or
something else?

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa