Re: [OM] Mr. Fildes' Progress (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Mr. Fildes' Progress (OT)
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 07:23:23 +1300
Paul Braun asked
" "Fortnight".  Isn't that one of those weird, funny Brit words that we
'Murcans stopped using so we didn't sound so uppity?  "

In regular use here (in New Zealand) especially in written usage, though
people are more likely to use " a couple-a weeks".

We also differ in the meaning given to the use of " momentarily" - as
illustrated by this exchange on an airliner travelling west across the northern
USA.   "The plane will be landing at Chicago momentarily".

To which a couple of New Zealanders asked "will it be on the ground long
enough for us to get off?".

"Momentarily" in NZ usage means "for a very short duration".

In the USA it seems to mean "in a few moments' time". Quite different.

Brian Swale.