Re: [OM] For sale - 4" x 5" film holders

Subject: Re: [OM] For sale - 4" x 5" film holders
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 14:32:13 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Norton [mailto:ken@xxxxxxxxxxx]

> I've only ever even touched a few 4x5s and never actually shot with one.
>  I'll take this opportunity to ask how standard are 4x5 film holders?
> Do they all meet the same specification for outside dimensions and
> distance to film from front and back edges such that film plane distance
> is the same as the ground glass?  Sorry, I'm almost clueless in this area.

As far as I know all 4x5 film holders meet the same standardized size and
shape to conform with the Graphlex back.

AG

-----------

I've heard of roll film holders which have slightly different dimensions for
the width of some of the raised bars which lock the position of the holder.
If I remember correctly the Sinar was the odd one. I vaguely remember
hearing that a very early Graphic (prior to the Crown Graphic?) had an issue
with cut film holders.

Toyo holders have a good reputation.

I have heard of people having problems with the ground glass not being
mounted correctly and I believe a few people have found defective film
holders. Unless the camera maker wants to make and sell film holders, he has
to make sure his camera works with what is available.

I've heard that above 8x10 there isn't much standardization.

-jeff
(using quickload 4x5 on a 5x7 & wanting to eventually shoot some 5x7 cut
film)