Re: [OM] Back from Digest-Lalala-land

Subject: Re: [OM] Back from Digest-Lalala-land
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 19:55:33 -0800
Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On 12/6/08, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hey, good to hear from you.

Wow! Two old timers returning from the lands of way too much trouble
goin' on. Nice to hear from you.

>> We had a good time with you and AG but that was a pretty soggy night!
>> Apparently you were not drowned on the way home.
>>

> Hi Chuck,
> It was nip and tuck on the drowning part.  A bit of a white-knuckle drive
> home.  But worth it for the fellowship. :)
>
>> Moose and I and our special others met in Berzerkely at Moose's place. Moose
>> and I together constituted a substantial mass together but apparently just
>> below the critical level.  We and Berzerkely are still here.  We were
>> careful to only inspect OMs while together in his house

And Chuck was a real gentleman, returning the 18/3.5 with hardly a
whimper. :-)

>> lest adding the two 5Ds to the mix push us over the edge of criticality.
>>   We enjoyed a good dinner at a local Thai place and an equally good
>> breakfast at a place serving much more Americana fare.  Do not drive with
>> the Moose in his car in the hills around his house unless you like
>> roller coaster rides.  Exciting.  My bride's teeth are still clenched from
>> the combination of that ride
You'd never guess from his posts what a wimp Chuck is about driving on
the narrow, winding streets where I live.  ;-) I did show him the wide,
straight way out of town. :-)

>> following only a little behind similar hair raising mountain driving
>> maneuvers on US 199 approaching the
>> coastal redwoods from Oregon.  On that stretch of road if the curve warning
>> sign says 10 or 15 mph... it means it.
I guess I haven't been up there since I sold the 911. Those roads were
sorta fun that way.
>> Around Moose's place there are no curve warning signs and no guard rails.
>> :-)

Sure there are guard rails where there are precipices, but seldom
anything to keep you from vehicular trespassing in peoples' yards. Since
I knew you folks wer a bit edgy already, I didn't point out the place
where one of my brothers rolled a VW beetle into someone's living room
oh so many years ago. It's at the bottom of a long, steep stretch we
went down on the way to the Thai place.

I guess others must have done something similar. Largely hidden in
landscaping are a series of 10-12" heavy gauge steel pipes filled with
concrete now protecting that house. Regular guardrails have give built
in. You really don't want to hit those private protections!

Moose