Re: [OM] *(^&*%^^$%$@ verticals

Subject: Re: [OM] *(^&*%^^$%$@ verticals
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 21:28:05 -0800
Steve & Alicia Goss wrote:
> Hi, Y'all-
> What is it with vertical shots on the E-510?
> On my previous digicam a vertical shot was saved as a vertical shot.
> (portrait as opposed to landscape) When it was viewed in a directory listing
> or in an editor it would be vertical. With the E-510, the shots are vertical
> in photo editing software, but in directory listings or when uploaded to the
> web they are still horizontal. Is there a way to get a true vertical image
> from the E-510, or should I tell the E-510 not to bother and rotate them
> manually in the editor?

There is no such thing as a 'true' vertical shot from most digicams.
However, many of them do set a field in the EXIF header indicating how
they are to be displayed. Most image browsers, RAW converters and
editors will then open/display them with correct orientation. Web
browsers, however, apparently don't pay attention.

When I open a file in PS, it is displayed in the correct orientation and
when I save the altered copy, it is then saved correctly, too. So my
downsized images for the web are correct without any thought on my part.
Is there a menu setting in the 510 about orientation sensor/EXIF?

The Fuji F10 and F30 don't have internal orientation sensors, so don't
know at what angle they are being shot. Also, cameras are sometimes
fooled when shooting straight up or down.

In FastStone, IrfanView and, I assume, other image browsers, there is a
lossless rotate function for JPEGs. When I load a batch of images from
the Fujis into the computer, I select all that need a right rotation and
rotate them all at once, then do the ones that are the other way.
Doesn't take long.

Moose