[OM] Flash - was RE: *(^&*%^^$%$@ verticals

Subject: [OM] Flash - was RE: *(^&*%^^$%$@ verticals
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:30:24 -0500
Hi Jeff!!!

Hope things quiet down for you.

I certainly noticed the absence of posts.

   I have used the T32 as off cam slave-triggered by yabe transmitter in
auto mode.  It seemed to work best as a "room filler" often with a
diffuser at 45 deg.  It always seemed weird to turn "up" the flash when
the  flash sensor is 1 stop closer. In manual in fixed output the flash
obviously
would need to be reduced in power.  Perhaps it just seems
counter-intuitive to me.  When I had the OM hot shoe or stroboframe
main flash
in TTL, the main flash could quench too soon when the flashes
overlapped too much.  I thought the transmitter electronics would not
be fast enough and there would be minor interaction.  Some Nik flashes
have a "delay" mode just for this purpose when used as a slave. The
shutter speed needs to be at least one stop slower than synch.   Not
sure I've seen that elsewhere.
Perhaps you or Dr. Flash will know.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/05/for-few-dollars-more-nikon-sb-26.html

Mike

If you use a bounce grip it might be worthwhile to always keep whichever
side you mount it on up even when you aren't using flash. I
unfortunately
found during a hectic important event that I fell back into a habit that
worked fine without the flash but not so well with it. My only excuse is
that I seldom use on camera flash.  :^(

Also I'm surprised no one mentioned using T32's off camera in Auto mode.
It's been a couple years since I did it but I found it worked well
except
for the cheap remote slaves I was using and the need to carry a dozen
extra
charged AA batteries. I believe I just set a different f-stop to adjust
the
exposure of the flash. I could position three of them around a room. The
hardest part was finding a position which would hide the flash and not
give
a hot spot on the nearest wall. The fact that when one of the remote
flashes
triggered it could trigger a flash hidden from the camera made the
placement
more flexible.

-jeff