Re: [OM] not; new blooming flower shots

Subject: Re: [OM] not; new blooming flower shots
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 08:50:26 +1300
Hello all,

Siddiq asked how I lit these shots.

No flash. Just residual light from the sky and/or clouds. White balance set in
the E1 using a sheet of white paper.

I have long been impressed by the advice given by John Shaw in his books -
eg Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques

and
Close-ups in Nature : The Photographers Guide To Techniques in the Field

both available now through www.bookfinder.com

He explains why to use the techniques, and in his books was the ONLY
author of such books to give firm advice on tripods to use - which I followed
(some 20+ years ago, buying from B&H in New York, using the adverts in
Popular Photography).

Cheers, Brian
> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 02:11:12 -0800
> From: "siddiq@xxxxxxx" <siddiq@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) not; new blooming flower shots
> To: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> On Dec 8, 2008, at 1:53 AM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=949&l=96aa7&id=1027725807
> >
> > Five more flower shots; all taken with E1 & ZD 14-54; tripod.
> > No direct sunlight (as per John Shaw's advice! )
> >
> > Brian Swale
>
> Hi Brian;
>
> How'd you light this (no mention of flash but kinda looks like)
> (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=244899&id=1027725807&l=96aa7 )
>
> Thanks.
>
> /s