Re: [OM] not; new blooming flower shots

Subject: Re: [OM] not; new blooming flower shots
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:27:23 +1300
I have just realised why Siddiq asked if I had used flash for my delphinium
shots in
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=949&l=96aa7&id=1027725807

I had taped a sheet of black velvet cloth to the brick house wall behind them.

I have this sheet of velvet in my camera case most of the time and have
used it for many flower shots both in the field and in the house.

The photos were taken after sunset ( long twilight now in the summer here
where these flowers are in Central Otago, New Zealand), or when there was
cloud and no sun.

The importance of not having sunlight (or flash) directly on flowers, is that
it
enables better natural colour saturation, and often avoids reflections and
other phenomena which degrade the image.  IMO.

Cheers

Brian Swale.