Re: [OM] Minimalism competition

Subject: Re: [OM] Minimalism competition
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:39:06 -0500
This talk of minimalist cameras reminds me that I bought an Argus C3 at
a garage sale last year for $10.  Its the camera my father used in the
50s to take family photos.  Mostly K25 but with some Ektachrome and a
little B&W thrown in.  Aperture and shutter seem to work OK but the
rangefinder focusing mechanism is extremely stiff and probably in need
of some cleaning and lube.  I don't have them but 35 and 100mm lenses
were available in addition to the standard 50mm.

Changing lenses is a bit of a process as the lens is geared to a
focusing wheel via an idler gear.  The camera has a rangefinder and the
focusing wheel is also marked with a distance scale from 3 feet to
infinity.  To remove the lens the distance scale must first be set to 3
feet.  That moves the lens outward to make clearance room for removing
the focusing idler gear retaining screw.  Remove the retaining screw and
lift out the idler gear.  Then the lens can be unscrewed and another one
put in its place.  Then position the focusing gear teeth on the lens
barrel near the mid-point of their travel and temporarily install the
idler gear.  Rotate the lens to the right as far as it will go to
position it at infinity.  Carefully remove the idler wheel again so as
not to disturb the infinity position of the lens.  Rotate the focusing
wheel back to the 3 foot position, re-install the idler gear and the
retaining screw.  Then search for the subject who has probably left the
scene by now.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt