Re: [OM] Minimalism competition

Subject: Re: [OM] Minimalism competition
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:53:02 +0800
LOL....actually you're right!If we were to go all the way to define
minimalism, then stick with certain fixed focal lengths such as 28mm, 35mm
and 50mm. But if we do, a lot of people won't be participating - well,
that's my guess. Some amongst us are so smitten with the 90mm f2 - and for
good reason of course - and they're not likely to warm to this idea.

K.

2008/12/10 Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 24-300 doesn't strike me as "minimalist"  :-)
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> khen lim wrote:
> > Hi there all of you
> >
> > By now you would have known that Ken and I discussed this 'competition'
> and
> > felt that Zone-10 can humbly offer a platform to provide gallery space so
> > that your images can be displayed collectively in separate member
> accounts
> > for all to view and appreciate. I for one am quite excited by this
> prospect
> > and hopefully all of you will take advantage and showcase your best
> images.
> >
> > With regards to the parameters, let us first deal with the issue of
> whether
> > or not this is a competition. I have given this a bit of thought on my
> own
> > although I have yet to discussed this with AG Schnozz. Here are my
> > thoughts:
> >
> > a. It's only a competition for the sheer heck of it. It's not going to be
> > 'serious' one but one that draws all of us together like a community that
> is
> > partial to all things OM. Since this list is about those who appreciate
> OM,
> > then the competition is held in a similar spirit.
> >
> > b. As a competition, we certainly don't have the resources (not yet
> anyway!)
> > to provide a lucrative drawcard in the form of excellent prizes. AG
> > mentioned turning his OM-3Ti into an Odyssey camera. That is a nice idea
> and
> > a generous one on his part. All the same, we're not in the position to do
> > anything else unless others within this same community were to offer
> his/her
> > wares...I understand that NSURIT has some wonderful inventory to
> contribute
> > in this regard  :)
> >
> > c. And so it is, in effect, a competition then, but my idea is that
> everyone
> > contributes individual points to the images on show. You visit an album
> > belonging to one of the competitors and assess the images, then accord
> them
> > individual scores, say, out of a perfect score of 10 for each. You may of
> > course ignore those images you don't think even deserve any scoring if
> you
> > like.
> >
> > d. After a certain period of time, we close all scoring and then tally
> the
> > images. We can, for example, suggest that the top five scoring images get
> > the privilege to participate in the OM-3Ti Odyssey (just an idea only -
> > ditch it if you don't like it or have a better alternative).
> >
> > As for the types of cameras that qualify, Chris (Crawford) had even
> > mentioned the 'Blad. Hmmm. Some others have suggested OMs other than the
> [...]

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney