Re: [OM] Minimalism competition

Subject: Re: [OM] Minimalism competition
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:59:09 -0600

> Minimalism obviously won't be applying to the rules! :)

Well, the "simple solution" rarely turns out to be.  How do we put together
a competition which everybody could participate in one form or another.  I'd
be happy to have an OM-3Ti competition as I know that the pool of
participants would be low, therefore my chances of winning greater.  But
throw the OM-1 and OM-3 into the mix and things get tougher.

Then the question came up that the OM-2 and 4 bodies actually have 1/60
mechanical shutters so they shouldn't be excluded...

And so it goes.

But to open it up completely really doesn't accomplish the goal of getting
people to get out the old stuff.  Instead of competing in different
categories, maybe we can apply a weighting to the "technology factor".  The
older or more limited the equipment, the greater the factor.  For instance,
let's base each judging aspect on a 1-100 scale.

Lens Technology Factor - Maximum of 100 Points minus stdev of AoV from
standard focal length:
8mm lens 100-93 = 7
18mm lens 100-36 = 64
24mm lens 100-25 = 75
35mm lens 100-10 = 90
50mm lens 100-0 = 100
100mm lens 100-15 = 85
200mm lens 100-24 = 76
(abbreviated list for example sake)

The reason for a Lens Technology factor is that people with extreme
focal-length lenses MIGHT have an advantage over a standard-lens.  This
helps balance out the haves and have-nots. A person with an 8mm lens could
slam-dunk the rest of us with the ultra-cool uber-shot. This will help take
away some of the unfair advantage.

Then comes the Film-Digital Factor - Maximum of 100 Points.
Film = 100 points
Digital = 0 points
(This encourages people to shoot film, but if the absolute maximum of all
judging categories is around 1000 points, a 10% hit may still keep your
photo in the running.)

Then comes Brand Factor - Maximum of 200 Points.
Olympus Camera, Zuiko Lens = 200 points
Olympus Camera, Other Lens = 100 points
Other Camera, Zuiko Lens = 100 points
Other Camera, Other Lens = 0 points
(yeah, you got it.  This allows anybody to participate with any brand camera
and lens, but this category is 1/5 of the total point count, so look out)

Camera Age Factor - This is the "Bonus Round"
Age of camera * 10 points.
(Therefore, a 35-year old M1 will be worth 350 points, a brand new Canon
5Dmk2 will be 0 points)

Camera Technology Factor - Maximum of 100 Points
Pinhole camera, no meter, no nothing - 100 points
Mechanical camera, no auto anything - 75 points
Electronic camera, auto something - 50 points
Electronic camera, auto everything - 25 points
Face Detection - 0 points
(just having fun here)

Then we get into the various artistic categories:
Artistic Interpretation, 1-100 points
Compositional Skills, 1-100 points
Use of color or contrast, 1-100 points
etc., etc., etc. with at least 50% of all possible points based on the
photograph itself. These are judged by all participants.  (group think).

And so on....

I think that this type of contest would allow people to dig out an old Pen-F
or the Canon 5Dmk2 depending on their individual circumstances and not be at
a disadvantage.

AG