Re: [OM] OT---Wierd things going on

Subject: Re: [OM] OT---Wierd things going on
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:59:23 -0600

> > for gear change points (auto trans is fuzzy logic) helps me to achieve
> > around 610km on a single full tank of gas (75 litres).

Other than the speed factor, I thought I was going to be impressed.  Then I
ran the english-metric conversions.  My Jeep Grand Cherokee will go almost
600km on 72 litres at 120kph.  And I can park on top of Khen's skateboard
without scratching my oilpan.

Yes, Jan, It was a slight bit of hyperbole regarding the 10:1 coal
production.  Just as there is hyperbole on both sides of the Ethanol issue.
Negative energy?  Yeah right--when you factor in stupid things like "harvest
moon dimming caused by cows belching in Kenya because there is less corn for
human consumption".  But on the flip side, the proponants calculate BTU per
barrel of light-sweet-crude.  So, yes, you are also correct in blasting the
industry for optimistic calculations.  But this negative-energy argument
which some people claim regarding some sources of fuel remind me of the Pink
Panther cartoon where he's vacuuming and the vacuum sucks everything up,
including itself.

My point about the pocket-book driving effeciency, I believe that this has
been proven this past summer.  Gasoline demand suddenly took a dive when gas
in the USA topped $4 per gallon.  Almost everybody changed driving habits.
These are personal decisions people make.  Eat or drive.  In MY life, we've
been making other changes too.  We moved into a condo that is very
efficient.  We pay extra on our electric bill to buy our energy from
renewable (wind).  We bought the most efficient clothes-washer on the
market, etc., etc.,

I also see it every day on the interstate.  Trucks no longer go faster than
65-70 around here.

AG