[OM] Alpha & Omega [was Minimalism competition: TOO COMPLEX!]

Subject: [OM] Alpha & Omega [was Minimalism competition: TOO COMPLEX!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:21:07 -0800
I've been loosely following this thread, with occasional amazement.
Dawid started out with something seemingly simple. Then it morphed
through various increasingly complex forms to become, to me, an
unmanageable and uninteresting monster.

Now Dawid is seeking to bring it back to Earth, which seems to me a very
good thing. I have a few comments:

- I am not interested in a competition.

First, because I don't like or need the idea of winner and losers in
this community.  Although I always have personal favorites in the TOPEs
and exchanges, I would never want to have to pick a winner. I suppose
this may sound sappy, but I think everyone who participates in and/or
views these images is a winner. Engaging in the exercise of sharing as a
community is of great value in and of itself.

Second, because I can see it quickly becoming as complex as the contest
rules have been heading, with criteria, categories, etc.; a complexity
that would, for me, obviate any fun.

- Today is the start of the shooting period for TOPE  37. I've really
enjoyed TOPE and the occasional solstice/equinox/whatever exchanges. I
would hate to see a new competition take energy away from TOPE, which
has shown remarkable staying power and value as a center of community
involvement.

- The idea of adding a TOPE event for OM only, perhaps Zuiko and/or
prime lenses only, with a theme of minimalism strikes me as attractive.
I don't know if Olaf or others would be interested in inserting it next
in some way in order to retain the 'retro' momentum.

- The way in which TOPE might not be the best venue is in the idea I
heard of multiple entires per participant with statements about the
images. Perhaps it could be a separate event filling the space between
TOPE 37 & 38, late January through February, and hosted as offered at
Zone-10.

- Another possibility is a ZX hosted gallery open to images captured
with only OM equipment, Zuikos only and/or primes only, whatever
participants want, at all times. A place for those interested in sharing
their love of the original system in a minimalist way to share their
images and experiences.

- If someone has a real need for winners, they could get together to
choose them on some schedule or other from the images posted.
Personally, I would prefer what Dawid suggests in his last pp "... let's
post the results somewhere ... and discuss it."

I have a plethora of OM bodies and Zuikos, mostly primes, and would be
happy to participate in something like I have outlined above.

Moose