Re: [OM] Sierras - was RE: PacNW sunsets

Subject: Re: [OM] Sierras - was RE: PacNW sunsets
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:10:58 -0800
Jeff Keller wrote:
> The southern end of the Sierras is the highest (Mt. Whitney west of the north
> end of Owens Lake). There were several photos Ansel Adams took of the eastern
> slopes which showed the mountains towering over the valley. Of
> course I can't find links to them now.
>
> http://www.archives.gov/research/ansel-adams/

Here's one of them.
<http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5138297>

Neat! Here's the reverse angle on the one I posted yesterday.
<http://www.archives.gov/research/ansel-adams/images/aah20.jpg>
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/Sierras/Destination.htm

> Halfway down there is a section on the Kings River Canyon which shows the
> area well but not from the valley to the east. (The picture quality isn't
> good).

I've not been down in King's Canyon. From the images I've seen and the
view down at the San Joaquin River at Devil's Postpile, the Western
scarp is indeed steep and impressive from the river canyons. As you say,
though, none of that is visible from down in the central valley.

> Looking down onto the Owens Valley isn't as dramatic but
> http://www.archives.gov/research/ansel-adams/images/aah21.jpg

Ah yes, I will get around to scanning more old slides one of thee
days... There are more from these trips, some of which look down to the
East.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/Sierras/PioneerL.htm>
http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Sierras/pages/8609P2_20bs.htm

> If you are in some of the valleys which empty towards the west, the western
> side can be pretty dramatic - Yosemite being probably the most famous.

Yosemite is spectacular. But quite different from the Eastern scarp.
Yosemite is intimate, the scarp is so much bigger, both in breadth and
rise. Breathtaking in another way. With the Sierras on one side and the
White Mts. on the other, they say the Owens Valley is 10,000 ft. deep.
> The area where highway 395 runs down the east side has attracted many
> photographers for many years: Ansel Adams, Galen Rowell, Moose Peterson, etc.

Wonderful trip! We've been thinking of doing it. I haven't been down
since the restoration of Mono Lake and the Owens River and Carol's never
been. Lovely color on the aspens in Fall, but don't let the pass close
on you or you've a looong way around. Last time I went into Yosemite
that way, it was starting to snow as we left.

Moose