Re: [OM] What type film?

Subject: Re: [OM] What type film?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:24:30 -0500
Sorry, but I'm not going back to film developing.  I haven't done B&W
development since about 1985 and don't intend to start up again.  And,
AFAIK, there is nowhere around here to get it done.  I'm happy to shoot
color and do my B&W conversion in post.  Even then, unless I use some
long frozen Kodak or Fuji portrait films I'll likely have to go to B&H
just to get film.  I'd been thinking about trying the new Ektar 100
since it is supposed to scan well.

Chuck Norcutt

Dawid Loubser wrote:
> I second the recommendation for Ilford. I shoot only FP4 (ISO125) and
> HP5 (ISO400). I currently have a roll of HP5 in my Mamiya RB which is
> exposed
> at ISO1600, but I don't think the results on a tiny 35mm negative
> would look
> all that great, even though I love film grain.
>
> Both films are brilliant. Your exposure can be "out" by more than four
> stops, and the
> image comes out great. Complete opposite of, say, Fuji Velvia, which,
> when I shoot it in
> my Linhof with a complex set of centre-weighted and other filters on
> the lens, is very difficult
> to expose "correctly" taking all the factors into account.
>
> With the B&W in the OM-1n, I love just taking a wild guess at the
> exposure in some tricky situation,
> and seeing when the film is developed that it captured it all in the
> dynamic range.
> When you use an incident meter to nail perfect exposure, it's even
> better :-)
>
> I must say, I have not tried the Kodak B&W films, they are very
> difficult to find in South Africa.
>
> But I am an absolute convert to monochrome photography, it is
> wonderful. I have always been in my past digital
> era, it's just so much better and more satisfying now.
>

> On 11 Dec 2008, at 5:01 PM, AS wrote:
>
>> Basic BW Ilford should do the trick.
>>
>> http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/producttype.asp?n=3&t=Consumer+%26+Professional+Films

>>> Archives: