Re: [OM] Any comment for Letiz 50mm F4.5 enlarge lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any comment for Letiz 50mm F4.5 enlarge lens?
From: Martyn Smoothy <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:07:14 +0000
Michael,

I don't think it's crazy... I develop & print B&W in the traditional
way, much more fun than digital.

Earlier this year I acquired a lot of enlarger lenses which I sold
individually on e-bay (actually turned a decent profit). In the process
I tested all of the good quality lenses & among them was a Leitz Focotar
1:4,5/50 - it produced very good results (comparable to Rodenstock &
Schneider), so if that's the one you mean I would go ahead & buy it
(provided the price is reasonable - mine went for £35.80, to someone in
Japan I think). Naturally, the condition of the particular lens in
question is probably the most important factor.

But 50mm wouldn't be suitable for 6x6, you'd need something longer -
80mm would probably be best (at the moment I'm using three Schneider
lenses - an Apo-Componon HM 4/45 for 35mm, a Componon-S 4/80 for 6x7 & a
Componon-S 5.6/100 for 6x9). The 80mm Componon would be fine for 6x6, as
would the comparable 80mm Rodagon - with lenses going so cheap on e-bay
at the moment you might as well get a good one.

Hope this helps - Martyn.