Re: [OM] Sierras - was RE: PacNW sunsets

Subject: Re: [OM] Sierras - was RE: PacNW sunsets
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:12:25 -0800
Chuck wrote:

> I love that first one.  I only got onto 395 at the south end ...
Thanks. 395 runs along the lake shore at the base of the escarpment. A
story is told about a wagon party in the late 1800's camped on the rim
near where the photo was taken. (Juniper Ck) A party of Indians of
undetermined temperament were observed approaching so the settlers
packed up hurriedly and headed straight down to the lake! The Indians
weren't hostile and greatly enjoyed the spectacle. The settlers arrived
at the base pretty worse for the wear but at least no one was injured
and no animals lost. Knowing what I know now having walked up and back I
think I would have circled my one wagon and stood my ground.

Mike