Re: [OM] Sharpeining, was: Flickr account problems

Subject: Re: [OM] Sharpeining, was: Flickr account problems
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 23:19:24 -0500
At 02:54 PM 12/13/2008, Fernando wrote:
>So, there's no urgency to have Margulis' book ... could you point to
>some other direction, Wayne ?

wow, I get the impression you think I might know what I'm doing...

I tend to use Lab most of the time now, so it is familiar. Simple tricks
such as doing a levels adjustment and expanding the AB channels.
If you do it symmetrically, it will increase color saturation. or doing
local contrast enhancement on the L channel only, etc, simpler
stuff.

The main problem with Margulis's book is you have to know
how Photoshop works to follow what he is doing. The best
recommendation I have is to make sure you have a good
understanding of the blend modes, layers and channels. How
to convert them into selections and layer masks, as he does
a lot of that. Plus the finer details of the blend if sliders,
and the apply image technique. Trying to read his book,
when such things are not familiar makes the reading
difficult to follow.

So, I just search the web for stuff, but I have found the site
www.dgrin.com can be a resource. Trying to figure out how
to do stuff from scratch, I'm still struggling with.

For instance, I have this Halloween image shot at night
where the lighting was mostly red. When I look at the AB
channels, all the color is in one half of the histogram.
So, I've been trying to figure out if there is something I
can do with the image, as clearly the Lab mode show
distinct color separation. It looks like a perfect Lab specimen.

http://www.zuik.net/public/800_MG_5810.jpg

If I knew what I was doing, or even what I should do
with the image, I wouldn't feel so Lab inept. The camera
and the eye see this scene a lot differently and I'm not
sure how to reconcile that.

I still recommend Dan's book for showing what is
possible, just make sure you have some good backup
material to help out. I hate when the author starts to sound
too much like a salesman.

WayneS