[OM] I am the weirdest

Subject: [OM] I am the weirdest
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:40:43 -0600
I've concluded that I am the weirdest photographer in the world.  I am
obviously the ONLY photographer that doesn't obsess over the tiniest nuance
of sensor noise at ISO 3200 or count the number of pixels dancing on the
head of a pin.  I don't even get all that carried away over auto-focus speed
or number of auto-focus points.  Worse of all, I don't give a rip who has
the biggest unubtanium zoom lens with 12-stops of image-stabilization and
NEXRAD build in.
All I want is a camera that doesn't get in my way.  I want a camera that is
there for me when I'm ready to shoot a picture. Most importantly, I want a
camera that doesn't hurt me!

Is this too much to ask?

Last night, after a long day which included getting together with another
photographer (Olympus IS-3, grip, etc), doing honey-dos around the house,
walking in a parade, then attending a holiday party at my former boss's
 mansion with around 100 paintings from all over the world, we stopped in at
a particular big-box store which sold various DSLRs.

Having been sufficiently chastised by various people both here on this list
and elsewhere over my gripes about ergonomics, I've been deciding to just
keep quiet and just accept the fact that my concerns are unwarranted and
just the rants of some loony guy no more listened to than the long-haired
guy on the street-corner marching around with the "The End is Near" sign.
 Well, to satisfy the scene:

"THE END IS NEAR!"

I will refrain from naming camera brands and models, as the moment I say
anything negative about any particular one, the cries of "you're an idiot"
will rise up in one unified chorus clamoring for the removal of my Internet
access.  But what I will do is identify some things that really stand out
for me from my entire day's exposure to cameras.  For those who can't figure
it out, I'm also blasting a brand near and dear to us.

1. Battery Grip shutter-release button is in a different position (even
though the grip shape is identical) for the vertical grip than the
horizontal grip.  PLEASE, pick one place or the other, but having the
shutter-release button move almost 2cm to the right is unacceptable.

2. Postage-stamp viewfinder.  There is small, and then there is SMALL.  Just
when I thought it couldn't get any smaller, two manufacturers outdo
themselves.

3. Kit zoom lens starting aperture is F4.5 on the wide-angle (if you can
call it that) to F6.3 on the long end.  I won't even mention the bogus
manual-focus ring that is out at the end of the lens and has the filter
attached to it. Even in a brightly lit store, about the only thing visible
in the viewfinder was the ceiling lights.  Folks, it was bad--as bad as I've
EVER seen.

4. The grip shape of one entire line of cameras was extremely cramped.  The
manufacturer reduced the grip radius by what looks like 1cm.  It is shaped
correctly, but just not large enough.  Honestly, I can't imagine using a
seriously pro, full-frame body that has a Digital Rebel handgrip.  Sorry,
but I'm not referring to anything from Canon, either!  My fingertips were
mashed into a couple buttons at the base of the lens-mount and I couldn't
get enough leverage on the camera to offset the huge weight of it.  Why this
manufacturer literally destroyed one of the best grip shapes ever is beyond
me. And then to add insult to perceived injury, another manufacturer had an
almost identical grip shape.

5. Blinking lights.  I don't mind, so much, if the viewfinder looks like a
dance club, but make sure the focus screen is bright enough so the blinking
lights don't blind you.

6. In the race for the biggest LCD, the buttons have all been moved to some
perimeter position which can no longer be reached from the right hand
without removing the hand from the grip.

Shall I go on?

Yes, I'm weird. Even if Mike Johnson has decided that ergonomics no longer
matter, I still care.

AG