Re: [OM] I am the weirdest

Subject: Re: [OM] I am the weirdest
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:25:46 -0600

> I've now gone back to using OM exclusively, the OM's feel nice,

look nice, work nice, and the F stop on the len's are more what I'd
> like with a nice view finder, and not having to stuff around with way
> to many controlling options, even if I have already preset various
> options on an E, I seem to forever be checking and changing things
> that require me to take the camera away from my face and check.

I'm as close to OM exclusive as I can be now.  The E-1 and Minolta A1 still
satisfy the majority of my digital needs.  Where they fall down, I do have
the option of shooting film to pick up the resolution slack.  I researched
and agonized to no end over the purchases of both of those digital cameras.
In hindsight, I have absolutely no regrets about either purchase and if I
can manage to avoid megapixel-envy, I am still extremely pleased with them.

Furthermore, I feel as though I can still be competitive in "getting the
image" with my geezer-gear.  The learning curve for me with a new camera is
approximately 1000 pictures.  That's JUST to get to the point where I'm not
embarrassing myself in front of others as I scratch my head wondering how to
change metering modes!  Even the lowly E-1 still holds surprises and unknown
features I've never explored.

Which brings me to an observation.  This morning at church, I decided to use
a photograph of the Grand Canyon (no not 5D, the other Grand Canyon) which I
took with the Minolta A1.  Folks, I believe that this particular camera (as
with the A2) has certain optical and sensor traits that allows this camera
to produce images which are mysteriously 4x5 like.  The contrast of the lens
is a perfect match to the A1's sensor and with some bit-bending in the RAW
converter give me image-files that look like large-format trannies.

I love the OM system, but for professional purposes is unable to meet many
of my requirements. For that, I do have the E-Thing, but when I am taking
what I want to take using the gear I want to use, it's the OM system.  I
make no apologies over it.

AG