Re: [OM] I am the weirdest

Subject: Re: [OM] I am the weirdest
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:26:03 +0200
Join the club, Martyn (or maybe I have?),

I also use exactly the combo of OM for 35mm, and Mamiya 67 for the
big stuff.

Ken, I *so* understand where you are coming from - and based on my
earlier posts
you certainly know it (with my last one lamenting how much an E-3 + 50
Macro sucks
compared to an OM and 90 Macro). And that is the good stuff, don't get
me started on
something like the plastic fantastic 9-18mm on something like an E-510.

I am not sure if you were indeed talking about Sony, but I recently
had an opportunity to
also play with one of their lower-end models (also fitted with one of
those fabulous zoom lenses
that, at the long end, is at f/6.3 and sticks out a plastic barrel
like 20cm long). The view finder
is literally less than 1/4 the area of the OM, and feels like a tenth
of the brightness. What is worse,
the "live view with a separate sensor" for which the viewfinder was so
severely compromised is so bad,
one cannot dream of photographing a moving subject with it, my 8-year
old Sony point and shoot was far
superior.

What a toy.

Went for a picnic yesterday with some friends, and my one dear friend
uses a Canon 40D with a Sigma 30/1.4
- a really nice combination, and the 40D has a nice viewfinder, with a
focus screen that is every bit is nice
as an E-3's. He never looked through an OM-1 before, and when he did
so yesterday, the only thing he could
say was a quiet "Wow....."

No folks, I maintain, go and use your OM gear - every day the distance
between it, and the latest digihack,
increases. Somehow, they just keep getting it more and more wrong with
almost every new DSLR (Disposable SLR)
they bring out.

And the ones that don't suck are just too expensive or anybody who
does photography simply for the enjoyment
thereof.

cheers!