Re: [OM] I am the weirdest

Subject: Re: [OM] I am the weirdest
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:06:57 -0500
In my mind, the CF is the most reliable storage I have. Why risk transferring
to a laptop that I then have to protect from theft, or another storage device
where
all my eggs are in one basket, and the risk of a transfer goof up.

When I travel, I just keep everything on the flash cards. Sometimes I bring
the laptop so I can review them later, but they still stay on the cards unless
I need the space. CF is cheap these days. I have 2x12G 2x8G 3x4G = 44GB
=~ 3000 Raw pictures on a 5D.

If I shoot 200-300 shots a day, that is a good day. But usually there is
some fine food and wine, snorkeling, kayaking, diving, or even marital
activities. Traveling without the laptop is a lot more fun.

I remember I went through the storage requirements a couple of years
ago when I was anticipating a Norton workshop. I came to the conclusion
then that my money was better spent on more CF and spare batteries
than any other storage device. Hopefully the CF enabled cameras will
still be allowed, but BYOB (that's batteries, not beer).

BTW, has Olympus improved on their raw storage file size with the E-3?

Wayne