Re: [OM] [OT] LED Christmas lights and an incandescent dimmer???

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] LED Christmas lights and an incandescent dimmer???
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:34:01 -0600
I started out in photography with a Kodak Flash Brownie, a gift from my
inlaws when my wife and I were married in 1951.  My father-in-law was using
a Speed Graphic and an old studio 5x7 camera with a Packard pneumatic
shutter to put food on the table.  I had no illusions about making a living
at photography, but learned a lot about the subject from my father-in-law.

Flash bulbs fashionable at that time were the Sylvania Press 40 and the GE
#ll, which worked fine with press cameras.  When I finally was able to buy a
decent camera, I chose a Leica IIIa which had been modified by Leitz N.Y.
with the addition of a flash gun and synchronization.

When I studied the problems of using flash with a focal plane shutter, I
found that the most economical solution was to use the same bulbs that Herb
used on his Speed Graphic, namely the Press 40 and the GE #11. They had a
flat "plateau" characteristic that provided a sufficient period of
illumination to cover the period that the shutter was opened.  I later tried
the smaller bulbs, but the big workhorses were best.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA