Re: [OM] OT - question re anti-virus program

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - question re anti-virus program
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:16:25 +0800
Chuck,Try AVAST and see what you think. I'd be interested to know.
I have been on AVAST and so far, it hasn't been intrusive and it picks up on
those horrid viruses that are lurking around these days like Solow. It's
been serving me very well and I can't see any reason to have to change
again.
Like you, I had my fair share of experiences with both McAfee and Norton. Of
the two, Norton was by far the worse. McAfee was slightly better but both
were hugely ineffective when it comes to trapping viruses.

My two bobs' worth anyway.

K.

2008/12/17 Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I can't tell you about the present products but I gave up on McAfee and
> Norton Antivirus products about 4 years ago.  Slowness was one of their
> more desirable features.  :-)
>
> I've been using AVG for the last couple of years but it too seems to be
> becoming more intrusive.  My computer is almost unusable for the first 2
> or 3 minutes after the first boot of the day because AVG is churning the
> disk mercilessly.  I have no idea what it's doing but it does hundreds
> of thousands of I/O operations in a short period of time.  It then goes
> quiet but wakes up at odd moments a couple of times/day for a few
> seconds of thrash the disk.  When it finally comes time to do a virus
> scan for the day it's so resource intensive that the computer is nearly
> unusable even after I click its lower priority switch.  I've given to
> giving it a start time after I've gone to bed and let it shut down the
> machine afterwards.  Since I can do other things for the first few
> minutes after the morning boot and can sleep while it's doing the virus
> scan none of these shenanigans have caused me to think seriously yet
> about replacing it but it could be getting to that point.  I just wish I
> knew exactly what it was doing and why.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> John Hudson wrote:
> > Please excuse this OT question but I am sure somebody will have a quick
> and
> > short answer.
> >
> > Does the McAfee anti-virus / utility / anti-spam package have a
> reputation
> > for slowing down one's computer when being run in "background and always
> > alert" mode? On the assumption that all such software causes some degree
> of
> > slowdown is McAfee worse than the competition?
> >
> > Our daughter has recently taken out a 30 day subscription to the McAfee
> > package and tells me that her computer has really started to slow down
> > making her feel that McAfee is churning in the background and slowing up
> the
> > works.
> >
> > jh
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney