Re: [OM] OT - question re anti-virus program

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - question re anti-virus program
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:27:38 -0800
Supporting some 500+ machines at a school district, we used to use
McAfee "enterprise" version. It was fine until the 2007 update at which
point it noticeably bogged down machines, as well as developing some
peculiarities regarding upgrading (most machines upgraded fine, some
few, for no reason we were able to track down, required lots of manual
rip-out and reinstall work). Symantec/Norton had never been seriously
considered due to its well-known tendency to be darn-near uninstallable.

California's budget mess (and a change in management to yours truly)
meant that something else had to be found. We could no longer justify
the expense of that many McAfee licenses, and I personally had reached a
frustration point regarding the amount of system resources claimed by
McAfee.

Being as I see it as my duty to reduce expenses to the taxpayers
wherever possible, I made finding a viable open source AV product one of
the criteria. That lead us to ClamWin, the windows-ized off-shoot of
ClamAV, which serves well in the Linux world. It's proved to be a fine
choice so far, and uses very few resources, running well even on older
Win2K machines (and yes, we still have those in daily use).

It's worth a look, if you haven't seen it.

---
Scott Gomez