Re: [OM] IMG: Even in Dismal Weather, the Work Must Go On

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Even in Dismal Weather, the Work Must Go On
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:20:11 -0600
Hi, Doug,

Voltage on the high lines varies from system to system.  At the research
center where I worked before retiring, the main facility feeds were 161,000
volts, run underground.  The so-called "housekeeping" circuits were 13,800
volts, 3-phase, run overhead.  At one time I asked what the 3-phase lines
that run past my house were, but I have forgotten the answer.  I suspect
they are around 10k to 12k volts.  Those are the shielded lines in the
photos.

I agree that, handled one at a time while in an insulated bucket, the risk
is lessened.  However, on a damp day, I would at least use well-insulated
gloves which can be found in a lineman's kit.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA