Re: [OM] While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups

Subject: Re: [OM] While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:03:05 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Hey, that's cool!  I'll be waiting on your report.

I guess weather was good and UPS staffed up for the holidays. The
package arrived yesterday afternoon.

I opened up the docking station, connected it to power and the eSATA
header on the desktop, opened the 1.5TB drive, inserted it into the dock.

I don't know about other OSs and installations. My Vista doesn't react
to changes in SATA connections automagically. With USB, it always
notices changes. With Firewire, it usually does; sometimes I have to
turn the drive off and on again. With SATA drives, I suppose it assumes
they are all inside and can be counted to remain the same as at boot.
Anyway, I have to ask the disk manager to rescan disks when I change
which disk is attached to the eSATA port.

The same was true of the docking station. But one click on rescan, and
there was the new disk on the new dock. Initialize, assign a drive
letter and quick format, and I was in business in moments.

I copied over 400GB from an internal 500GB drive, then almost 100GB from
another internal drive. All absolutely normal, as though I had installed
the new drive inside the box or in an external, eSATA enclosure. With
most of it hanging out in the air, the drive is running cooler than the
primary drive and only a bit warmer than the two 500GB drives inside
with cooling fans.

Looks like a winner to me. Oddly enough, it appears the makers are
conservative in their claims. The box says it works with drives up to
1TB; the web site says 1.5TB. It seems they actually waited until there
was a 1.5TB drive to try with it before making claims.

It was a better deal from TigerDirect with HD, flat rate $1.99 shipping
and a $20 rebate for using PayPal, but by itself,  is $5 cheaper plus
free shipping from Amazon at the moment.
<http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229806542&sr=8-1>

Next is to move the 1.5TB into the computer and one or two 500GBs out.
Then I need to find a safe, yet convenient way to store bare drives.
I've looked at kraft boxes on the web, but nothing the right size so far.

Moose