Re: [OM] OT, Miramar Re: While on the subject of computer safety and ba

Subject: Re: [OM] OT, Miramar Re: While on the subject of computer safety and back-ups
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 08:52:32 +0000
Sorry for my delay in replying, Martin, but I don't have an smtp to
use when I'm away from home (I do now, subscribed with a gmail account
last night).

I'm afraid that that is nothing more than a little Grob 115E (an RAF
"Tutor").  A Tutor can do loop in around 400ft, top to bottom using a
base of at least 3,000ft.  But an F16 will need a base of 5,000ft,
taking around the same space, top to bottom to perform the manoeuvre.
And a Tornado, in normal training fit (quite draggy and heavy) will
need 8,000ft as the base and around 10,000ft of space, top to bottom.
So, in a Tutor you will see normal light, but in a Tornado it will
might like the stratosphere (darker above the horizon, lighter below)
as the thing is up around 20,000ft at the top.  The other difference
is the entry speed.  A Tutor will go around a loop quite happily if
you enter at 120knots or more, whereas a training fit Tornado GR1/4
will need 450knots and afterburner (for the first half; you deselect
burner for the back half otherwise it will hurtle earthwards in a most
worrying way ... :-)).

Chris