Re: [OM] OT: Test your colour vision here

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Test your colour vision here
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 05:00:44 -0800
> http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

> Probably completely worthless if you don't have any sort of monitor
> calibration, and of limited use even then. I was mildly pleased that
> my huey-calibrated Samsung 245 and I managed a score of 4 though.
> Nice to know that though I can no longer clearly see those resistor
> colour bands without a bit of help from a lens of some sort, I can
> still tell blue from violet. Of course, they all look brown once it's
> been, er, thermally stressed for a while.

I'm not sure what the point is. It's easy enough to get the overall
sequence, but the "fine details" are more difficult. Though my monitor is
huey-calibrated, some of the hues are so close -- particularly those at the
beginning and end of the range -- I can't distinguish them, even when
they're next to each other.

This is also an odd test for a Munsell site. The Munsell system is based on
real-world dye, inks, and pigments. If there is no "physical" representation
of a color, it's not in the Munsell system -- or at least, not in the sample
books. * (Contrary to what x-rite suggests, the Munsell system is not the
only color-organizing/defining system. There are others. Each system has its
own strengths and weaknesses.)

35 years ago, I walked to the Munsell company in Baltimore and purchased
their "student" kit (which I still have). It cost around $4 -- today it's 10
times that. It has bags of color chips, glue, and a page for each hue. You
have to arrange the chips of each hue by value (lightness) and saturation
(chroma) on the corresponding hue page and glue them down.

The point? After going through this, you should understand the difference
between value and chroma.

If I were designing a test page, I would duplicate the student kit. Of
course, that would kill sales of the student kit.

PS: I like the new digest format. Easier to find stuff.

* One can define "non-existent" colors in Munsell coordinates, of course.